👻 Turn your audience into a business
Ghost is a powerful app for new-media creators to publish, share, and grow a business around their content. It comes with modern tools to build a website, publish content, send newsletters & offer paid subscriptions to members.
Try Ghost completely free for 14 days.
Listen to Episode #21 on Spotify
Apple Podcasts | Spotify | Amazon Music | Anchor | Pandora | Google Podcasts | Castbox | Deezer | Pocket Casts | Stitcher | RSS Feed | Subscribe to Newsletter
🌎 For all show notes, background links and everything to do with the show, go to the Big Tech Little Tech website.
It was Rick's birthday recently, which he spent in Cádiz and Lisbon. Our hosts discuss pronunciation, Arsenal and sparkling wine. How do you pronounce Cava?
04:44 Tempting Tech
Rick mentions the launch of GPT-4, the fourth generation of the popular language model developed by OpenAI. With its advanced capabilities, GPT-4 is expected to take natural language processing to new heights and help advance various fields such as language translation, chatbots, and more. Of particular interest is its multimodal capabilities.
On Shaun's tech radar is a caravan, or rather the battery-powered Lightship L1 Trailer. Features include solar panels, and a roof that electronically rises to 10ft. And speaking of solar panels, Shaun read about floatovoltaics, which are solar panels that float on water. Researchers analysed 114,555 reservoirs around the world and used realistic climate data to model potential power generation. The solution could generate lots of power and save lots of water. A win-win.
11:34 Tech News
- Video conferencing platform Zoom has sacked its president, Greg Tomb. His contract was terminated "without cause". Tomb was hired in June 2022.
- HSBC has bought the UK arm of collapsed US Silicon Valley Bank for a pound. Although its US parent was in financial trouble, SVB UK is said to have been “in reasonable financial health”. The intervention was more “a preventive strike” before the collapse of its US parent sparked mass withdrawals from the UK. HSBC got itself a great deal.
- American safety regulators have opened an investigation into Tesla following reports that steering wheels on Model Y SUVs have fallen off while the car is being driven.
- According to the Recording Industry Association of America, vinyl records outsold CDs in the US last year for the first time since 1987, selling 41 million units against 33 million for CD.
- Speaking of music, Apple has announced that Apple Music Classical, a standalone app, will be released on 28 March.
12: 42 Technology and anti-ageing
Technology has had a significant impact on many aspects of our lives, and the field of anti-ageing is no exception. In recent years, technology has advanced to the point where it can help us understand and address the underlying causes of ageing.
From skincare products that use advanced ingredients to high-tech medical treatments and devices, technology is helping us to not only look younger but feel younger and live healthier lives as we age. With continued advancements in technology, it's likely we'll see even more breakthroughs in the years ahead.
39:43 Tricky tech acronyms
Shaun tests Rick’s knowledge of acronyms. How many did you get right?
Let’s start easy: What does VPN stand for? What does SEO stand for? And IoT?
A little more challenging now … What does CRM mean? What does RPA stand for?
Finally, what does the GPT stand for in ChatGPT?
- OpenAI releases GPT-4, its most powerful AI model yet (Wiser!)
- ChatGPT GPT-4 found a brilliant way to beat CAPTCHA’s anti-bot tests (MSN)
- What’s new with GPT-4 — from processing pictures to acing tests (The Verge)
- GPT-4 is bigger and better than ChatGPT—but OpenAI won’t say why (MIT)
- GPT-4 research (OpenAI)
- Inside Lightship’s electric RV (TechCrunch)
- Meet the all-electric RV startup steered by Tesla alumni (TechCrunch)
- Floating solar panels could completely power thousands of cities (The Verge)
🗞️ Meco: the best newsletter app for newsletter reading
Reading newsletters in the inbox is frustrating - it is noisy and easy to lose control of subscriptions. Now you can enjoy your newsletters outside the inbox with Meco, an app built for reading. Plus it’s completely free.
Subscribe to the Big Tech Little Tech newsletter
Stay up to date with all the news and latest episodes from the Big Tech Little Tech podcast. Subscribe to the Substack newsletter, it's free!
☕️ Buy Me A Coffee
Readers often ask me how they can show their appreciation for Wiser!
Here's a way...Buy me a coffee.
BuyMeACoffee is a donation service that makes it real quick and easy for supporters like you to make a one-off or repeat donation and show their appreciation. Virtual coffees are priced at €2 each.