Wiser! Catchup #3: A month's worth of news, analysis, insights and information from across the Tech Economy. Includes BigTech, Social Media, the Metaverse, Web3, Crypto, Bitcoin and AI (amongst other things).
TikTok continues to set the pace in the attention economy, especially with Gen Z. In this issue I look at what Instagram are doing in response. Plus
- the madness of NFTs (considering nobody could spell N-F-T a year ago)
- finally, we saw the end of the Blackberry (a story of interest for older people)
- the origins of the iPhone (as it approaches 15th birthday)
- And stories about racial bias at AirBnB, Google and MetaFacebook in trouble with regulators in France, Intel apologises to China and the ex-"Silicon Valley's 1st female unicorn" Elizabeth Holmes is found guilty.
The iPhone had its 15th birthday, which is pretty amazing when you think about how much has changed because of it when 15 years doesn't seem very long in the grand scheme of things! Plus;
- I reported how crypto scammers had had a record year for taking digital money off people last year;
- How Kazakhstan has become the number 2 nation for Bitcoin mining;
- Reese Witherspoon is apparently big into NFTs and the Metaverse, as are Ralph Lauren;
- plus updates on Oculus VR sales, Facebook's patent to analysis images and Google's plans to put tiny radars in your car to sense when you're moving.
Unsealed papers in the US anti-trust against Google revealed the extent of their collusion with Facebook. And it was damning! Plus;
- how much does Roblox exploit kids?
- the UK Gov spent half a million on influencing public opinion against End-to-End Encryption
- Microsoft's acquisition of Activision is going to be the largest tech deal in history
- plus updates on El Salvador's foray into Bitcoin, Peloton in trouble, and Amazon opens its first physical store in California.
This was the Birthday Issue as Wiser! celebrates its first birthday: The lead story was about BigTech and the record amounts they spent in 2021 on political lobbying and acquisitions. Plus;
- More on El Salvador buying the dip and President Bukele posting a meme of him working for MacDonald's (as the price of BTC continues down)
- A disturbing story about Replika, not just an AI cure for loneliness
- More on Microsoft's acquisition of Activision and strategy for the Metaverse.
- Plus Google's AR headset, MetaFacebook's AI supercomputer and the Fed sits on the fence over a CBDC for the dollar.
10 Tech Tools for Building a Newsletter
#52: One Year Wiser
w/Insights: Premium Content
The following articles from the Insights Series are exclusive content for paying subscribers to the Wiser! Newsletter.
#53: Trends, Predictions, Questions and Some Answers
#56: AR, VR, Wearables: Apple's market opportunity
#59: Is Spotify a platform or a media company? (p.s. don't shoot the messenger)
w/Never Miss An Issue!
If you received this email from a friend or colleague, click here and leave your email address. I'll make sure that you never miss an issue every Friday in your Inbox.
Essays are short-form articles on specific and relevant topics of the moment. They are free to access. Here are the latest ones...
w/In Partnership With...
w/Wiser! Bits and Pieces
I was named one of the Top 50 most-prominent Digital Futurists to watch in 2022
w/Follow me on Social Media
Over 110,000 people follow me across Social Media for Insights and Information from the Tech Economy (whoop-di-do!😊). You get to see most of it here because you're subscribers to the Newsletter. I'm most active on Twitter and Linkedin, however here are some other places you can find me:
A great place to find tons of content from independent writers like me.
Medium: Still the number 1 place for bloggers and writers (IMHO).
TikTok: No dad dancing, I promise!
YouTube: Over 37,000 views last time I looked
Instagram: the place to make writing visual.
Subscribe to Wiser! Premium for exclusive content, deep-dive analysis and unlimited access to the growing archive of insights and information from the Tech Economy. Click Here.